When it comes to scenting your home hands down organic aromatherapy essential oils are the best way to go. But what is the best way to diffuse them? There are so many choices out there it can seem overwhelming and if you are new to aromatherapy you may not even know where to start. Did you know that the type of diffuser you choose depends on which climate you live in?
Neither did I when I first got into using essential oils. In fact, I accidentally chose the completely wrong kind of machine for where I was living. I want to spare others the trouble I went through and hopefully save you some time and money with this helpful guide.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links. If you buy something, PST may earn a commission. Read the full disclosure.
Benefits Of Using A Diffuser?
Aromatherapy diffusers are great for dispersing therapeutic essential oils into a large space such as a living room, office or bedroom. If you live in a small house or apartment you can easily scent the entire space. Other benefits include…
Improved Stress Levels, Relaxation, and Sleep
Dispersing relaxing oils into your bedroom or living room can help naturally reduce stress levels, improve your mood and help you get a better nights sleep. One of the best and most well-known uses for essential oils is their ability to help you chill out and unwind at the end of a long hard day. While there are several other ways to get soothing oils from the bottle into your bloodstream such as a massage and body oil, a diffuser is by far the easiest and longest-lasting way to reap the many benefits of these magical oils.
Stash one at the office to help you relax during your lunch break or use a small portable one in your car. Have a diffuser ready to go with the push of a button when you get home from work in the evening. Set one on the bedside table to help your mind and body relax so you can sleep better at night. Keep one in your kid’s bedroom to help them go to sleep more easily.
Recommended Oils: lavender, chamomile, bergamot, geranium, frankincense, patchouli, rose, sandalwood, ylang-ylang
Mood Elevating & Improved Cognitive Function
A great way to naturally boost your mood is with natural oils. Curb anger, anxiety, and even depression with essential oils. This may sound like too simple a solution but using a diffuser can quickly help you to de-stress, they can also be used to create an energizing or happy mood. This is not only great for when you’re feeling sad or depressed. You can use your diffuser to inspire holiday spirits, to set a positive atmosphere for business meetings and social gatherings, to help you get moving on in the morning, or even to create a romantic atmosphere. Another thing it can help with is improved mental ability. Stimulating oils can help with brain fog and sluggish thinking. If you need to be clear-headed and focused for a meeting or for taking a test diffuse some oils beforehand so that you can operate at your best level.
Recommended oils: sweet orange, jasmine, rose, lemon, pine, sandalwood, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamon, grapefruit
Ward Off Illness & Detoxify Your Environment
Using a diffuser at home or in your office is a great way to keep colds, flu, and other nasty illnesses at bay. Many essential oils are powerfully anti-microbial and antiviral when introduced into the air in vapor form, the organic compounds within the oils come into direct contact with airborne pathogens before they can invade your body. Essential oils help to boost the immune system and keep you healthy. Some diffusers also double as humidifiers which will help to keep your airways moist and decongested so you are less susceptible to any microbes that do make it into your body. They are also great for asthma sufferers.
Recommended oils: tea tree, sage, rosemary, eucalyptus, clove, thyme, juniper, cypress
Best Diffusers For Dry Climates
If you live in a dry climate like in the southwestern United States – I’m talking to you Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado! Then you will want to go with a humidifying aromatherapy diffuser. This type uses water and will help add much-needed moisture to the air. This type of device can help soften and smooth dry chapped skin and help you breathe easier. Some excellent choices are –
A beautiful small diffuser that will look nice in your home, yoga/massage studio or office. Available in Gold and Silver.
- Made of iron and glass, your new diffuser will warm any space with a candle-like glow and lovely fragrance to alleviate stress and lift your mood.
- Designed for your convenience and safety.
- Ultrasonic technology provides a safe, clean method of fragrancing without an open flame or heat while the humidifying process restores essential moisture to reduce chapped dry skin in summer and winter months.
- Holds 100 mL (about 4 oz) of water.
- Revolutionary sensors automatically power down the diffuser when the water reservoir is empty.
- A free bonus remote control included with your purchase means you can control your diffuser from a distance.
- Set your diffuser to run constantly for maximum aromatic fragrance, perfect for masking and eliminating even the most stubborn odors, or set to intermittently cycle on and off for 15-second intervals to provide an entire day or evening of aromatherapy.
- Multiple light settings provide you with the option of a bright candle for the perfect dinner date, a soft glow to feature in an area of your home, or even complete darkness for the most light-sensitive individuals while sleeping.
This elegant aromatherapy diffuser is a great choice for your home or office as well. Doubles as a piece of art.
- The decorative pattern is handmade and formed by calcining at a high temperature, so it is bright and lustrous, and stronger than ordinary glass.
- SOFT AND BRIGHT LIGHT: The light can be used alone or you can choose between a soft and bright mode. It is a perfect night light in your home.
- INTERMITTENT SETTING AND AUTO SHUT-OFF: Press once to turn on Continuous mist, press twice to turn on Intermittent mist at 30-sec intervals.
- When water is nearly run out, it will shut-off automatically.
- SUPER QUIET: High-quality ultrasonic technology makes the diffuser super quiet when operating.
- WARRANTY:45 Days Money Back and 18 Months Warranty.
- Makes a great gift for your friends or family.
This lovely all-in-one aromatherapy diffuser uses ultrasonic technology that provides whisper quiet and smooth mist that gives off pleasant aromas to create a calm, relaxing or energizing environment.
- Natural Plastic Wood Grain Look: Aroma diffuser gives a touch of zen-style to fit nicely into your workspace or home decor.
- Sized Well with Adjustable Mist Output: it holds up to 200ml (about 6.8 oz) of water, not too big, not too small. Easy to adjust and switch between high and low mist settings to extend the duration of misting.
- 7 Color Mood Lighting Settings: Fixed one color steady on or 7 colors rotating through or no lights on. Each color is adjustable between bright and dim. A perfect nightlight for a kid’s bedroom and mood light for creating a romantic atmosphere.
- Timer Setting and Auto Shut off: 4 time setting modes:1Hr/ 3Hr/ 6Hr/ steady on. Diffuser automatically powers off when the water level is too low.
Another nice option for dry climates and slightly larger. It has a nice wood grain look that is available in 4 colors – Black, Brown, Reddish-Brown, and Light Brown.
- Diffuser & Humidifier: Adding several drops of oil into the water, it will fill your space with a lovely fragrance. You can also use it as a humidifier without oils to add more moisture to the room.
- Holds up to 300ml (10 oz) of water.
- 7 Soothing LED Light Settings, each color has 2 light options (dim and bright), so you totally will get 14 colors to meet your different needs.
- Adopted ultrasonic technology, this aromatherapy diffuser is very quiet and will not disturb your study, work or sleep.
- 4 Time Setting Modes: 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours and continuous.
- 2 options of mist for you to choose from, strong and standard mist.
- Select a suitable timer mode & mist option and create a calming and relaxing environment or an energizing and stimulating one.
- Can be put in your child’s room as a night light for a restful night’s sleep.
- This aroma diffuser can last for 6 -8 hours.
- Designed with waterless auto-off function, this essential oil diffuser will turn off automatically after 5s when water runs out for your safety and the protection of the aroma diffuser as well.
- Backed by 45 days money-back and 12-month worry-free warranty.
Best Diffusers For Humid Climates
For those of you that live in humid climates, the last thing you want to do is add more water into the air especially if you or someone in your household suffers from asthma or other respiratory issues. My parents learned this pretty quickly after moving my sister and me from California to Florida. My sister has asthma and had a hard time adjusting to the much more humid climate found in the Southeast. So, while adding moisture into the air is helpful for the skin and lungs in a dry climate it is the opposite in a humid environment. The best waterless diffusers are –
There is no stronger or more effective aroma diffuser on the market. Get the purest and most concentrated fragrance across a large area in a very short period of time. What makes it different? It uses only pure essential oils. No water to dilute the scent or to grow mold. No heat to change the therapeutic properties of your oils and no plastic to leach toxic chemicals.
- Uses a whisper-quiet, ultra-durable air pump to naturally atomize pure essential oils into millions of tiny micro-particles your body can absorb quickly.
- Perfect for home and office environments.
- Can be used in a baby or child’s room as a night light and to help with a restful sleep.
- Has an elegant LED rainbow-carousel mood lighting feature that can be turned off/on.
- Program different cycles (diffuses for 2 mins On, 1 min Off, for 2-hours then shuts off).
- Made from 100% whole plantation hardwood painted with water-based lacquer that will not off-gas and beautiful, individually hand-blown glass reservoir.
- Measures approx. 5 inches wide (13 cm) and 9 inches tall (22 cm, models vary).
- Works on 110-220v elec systems.
- SATISFACTION 100% GUARANTEED – Organic Aromas® offers ONE-YEAR free parts & service warranty.
- This will work equally well in a dry climate.
- Available in two colors – Dark Brown and Light.
Known as the most effective diffuser of pure Essential Oils on the market. Silently nebulizes using the Bernoulli Principle. Perfect for aromatherapy, place in the spa, office, bathroom, kitchen, classroom or a meeting area. The Explorer kit includes a gorgeous, dark-colored Elegance diffuser, a handsome wooden container with a stylish brass latch and six hand-picked organic essential blends/oils representing a variety of aromas and indications.
- Uses no heat or water which maintains the holistic and therapeutic properties of essential oils.
- Has a “volume” switch to precisely control how much oil you diffuse.
- Low energy consumption, the unit has a Usage Cycles of 2 minutes On, and 1 minute Off. Auto Shut-off after 120 minutes.
- Excellent atomizing performance requires very little essential oil to saturate the air quickly.
- Can easily service a room of up to 80sqm (800+ sq ft).
- The unit measures approximately 25cm (10 inches) tall and 15 cm (6 inches) wide.
- It features soothing LED Mood Lighting.
- It works on any electrical outlet (110 or 220v) and comes with the electrical plug adapter for your market (USA, UK, EU, Australia, etc).
- Refined and elegant hand-made wood base and custom-blown glass diffuser make the device a work of artistic craftsmanship. The unit is the perfect gift for any occasion.
- Kit includes 6 essential oils in a lovely wood box – Lavender, Purity Blend, Peppermint, Organic Sweet Orange, Energy Blend and Organic Rosemary.
- Can also be used in a dry climate.
Other forms of aromatherapy diffusers that can be used in either climate are candles and incense. However, these two options are not considered as safe especially around children and pets due to the risk of fire. I don’t recommend oil burners as these heat the oils, which changes their molecular structure. While using heat does help produce a nice fragrance it causes the oils to lose their therapeutic qualities and defeats the purpose of using them. The idea is to be able to enjoy their wonderful scents while also reaping their health benefits.
What are some of your favorite scents? Leave a comment below!
Valora is a native Californian currently living in the Southeast. She is an artist, designer, blogger and nature lover. Her hobbies include herbalism, cooking, baking, creating DIY aromatherapy recipes, sipping wine and listening to music. She also loves to go hiking and camping.